(This book also available as part of the discounted Security Mastery 3-book bundle.)
Unix-like operating systems have a primitive access control system. The root account can do anything. Other users are peasants with only minimal system access. This worked fine in UNIX’s youth, but today, system administration responsibilities are spread among many people and applications. Each person needs a tiny slice of root’s power.
Sudo lets you divide root’s monolithic power between the people who need it, with accountability and auditability.
Sudo Mastery will teach you to:
- design a sudo policy rather than slap rules together
- simplify policies with lists and aliases
- use non-Unix information sources in policies
- configure alternate sudo policies
- manage shell environments
- verify system integrity and perform intrusion detection
- have a common sudo policy across your server farm
- manage sudo policies via LDAP
- log and debug sudo
- log and replay full sudo sessions
- use authentication systems other than passwords
While many people use sudo, most use only a small part of it’s features. Chances are, you’re doing it wrong. Master sudo with Sudo Mastery.
This product includes PDF, mobi, and epub versions in a single zip file, all DRM-free.